|Holy Family Parish began gradually with
a request by the few Catholics resident
in Franklinton that some provision be
made for the regular celebration of
Mass here in the town.
The request was sent to Archbishop of
New Orleans Joseph Francis Rummel,
and to Abbot Columban Thuis, O.S.B.,
Abbot of St. Joseph Abbey in Covington.
The request was granted, and priest
monks from the Abbey, and from
Annunciation Parish in Bogalusa and St
John the Baptist Parish in Folsom, be-
gan visiting Franklinton, offering Mass
in the homes of Catholics.
In 1945 Holy Family was formally established as a mission with official status
as a Catholic Community.
On August 8, 1948, the first Mass was offered in the newly completed
church. Over the subsequent years, through the sacrifices of members of
the growing community and grants from the Catholic Extension Society, the
parish hall was built, and then a wing with classrooms for religion classes. A
rectory was built in 1989.
Holy Family has continued to grow and now welcomes over 300 families into
the community. Our youth religious education program now has about 95
We have initiated ecumenical outreach in union with Methodist and Baptist
congregations in Franklinton to revamp and reorganize the local Help Center
Food Bank, and to offer mentoring to youth in the area.
We are always excited to welcome new members into our Holy Family.
Come join us in spreading the Gospel!